FaceTime is a real-time video calling service developed by Apple for iOS and Mac users. The app has become immensely popular because of its superior quality and the convenience it provides to its users. Even Android users are on a constant search for alternatives to FaceTime. If you are an Android user, it’s obvious that you won’t be able to get FaceTime on your phone, but does that mean you can’t video call your friends? Definitely not.
Top 10 alternatives to FaceTime:
There are tonnes of alternatives for FaceTime out there in the Android market. We have shortlisted the best alternatives for FaceTime. The list is not exclusive to just Android users. If you are an iPhone user who is struggling to get FaceTime to work post-update or just someone who wants to experience video calling on PC, this is the right place for you.
Here are the ten best alternatives for FaceTime –
Viber is the go-to app for video calling for a lot of Android users. It can also be used as an alternative to FaceTime for iOS users. Viber was originally developed as a voice calling app, but now it can also be used to send a text message or video call your friends. The app has more than 600 million users worldwide, that’s a big number, right? Despite being free of cost, it offers high-quality video, calling service.
- Free long distance calls – It doesn’t matter if you want to make an audio/video call to a person sitting next to you or a person thousand miles away from you, it’s all free with HD quality sound and video
- Instant video messages – If you just want to send a video message, all you need to do is tap and hold the video message icon for 30 seconds and release!
- Secure communication – Viber encrypts all your audio and video messages and calls for a safer communication
- Damage control – If you send a video message by mistake, you can take it back even after it’s already sent
- Hide chats – Specific conversations can be hidden for personal reasons
2. Google Duo
Google duo is a video chat app developed by Google that is available on both, Android and iOS platforms. The app is based on numbers, thus allowing you to call anyone from your contact list. Google duo is optimised for low-bandwidth networks. Ever since its entry into the market, it has been Google play’s one of the top apps. The unique thing about this app is its ‘knock knock’ feature. This easy, free and simple cross-platform app works really well for everyone.
- Simple UI – Just pick anyone from your contact list and start a live video chat with them straight away
- Knock-knock – knock-knock, who’s there? This unique feature (available only on Android) allows you to see the caller live before you answer their call
- High-quality video calling – Experience the best quality video calls whether you’re on wifi or cellular data
- Cross-platform – Call your friends across multi-platforms with the use of this single app
- Free audio calls – Not in a mood for video call? With this audio-only feature, you can have free audio calls
- End-to-end encryption – Make your communication safe and secure with Google duo
OoVoo is one of the latest video calling service providers in the market. The service was initially available only on the desktop, but over the years has spread out to multi-platforms including Android and iOS. In such a short time, the app has accumulated a significant user base. This is a light app with minimal bandwidth requirements and works well even with a 3G connection. Use this great app to video chat with up to a dozen people! Check out its unique features:
- Free live video chat – Make high-quality one-to-one video calls, or a group video call with up to 12 people at a time, all for free!
- Free avatar characters and masks – Make your video call with your loved one more interesting by putting on a mask during the chat. Never get bored with the new avatars added every month!
- Easy one-touch calling – With just one touch, move from text messaging to video calling
- Free audio calls – Call your loved ones anywhere in the world with in-app voice calling
- OoVoo store – Try and buy premium avatars from the app’s very own store!
- Cross-platform – The app supports cross-platforms across cross-devices so don’t worry if you want to call your friend on another platform
- Integrated Facebook, WhatsApp and address book – Add your friends or send them an invite to join you by connecting your address book, WhatsApp and Facebook account
Tango is a full-fledged social networking app that allows you to not just video call but also to view news feed, sends text messages, play games and much more! Although Android is Tango’s primary platform, you can get builds for iOS and Windows as well. The app provides high-quality one-to-one video calls. If you’re searching for an app that provides video calls like FaceTime with a lot more other things, this might be your cup of tea! The sign-up process is very easy so create an account and get started already!
- Best video calls – The app is one the best and oldest video calling apps. Use the app on smartphone and tablet to video call your friends and family sitting in any corner of the world for free
- Entertainment while on call – Play games, add filters, send stickers – all during the call!
- Have fun in groups – Stay connected to your friends, classmates, family and co-workers with group feature on Tango. Send images, text messages, videos, and stickers for free
- Be Social – Follow and interact with the people you’re interested in. Share your day-to-day life activities with, your followers and get to know theirs
Skype undoubtedly offers one of the best video calling services across the world. It has been around in the video chat space since 2003. From working in a variety of bandwidths to monitoring the quality of your call, Skype is hands down the best video calling service. You can have both one on one and group video calls. Make HD calls and score it after you’re done. You can also call your contacts outside of Skype service (that won’t be free, though). Use it on both mobile and desktop!
- Face to face conversation – Have a face to face conversation with your family from any corner of the world to feel closer to them despite the distance!
- Group video call – Want to talk to all the family members at a time or arrange a professional meeting online? You can add up to 25 members on a group call
- Free audio calls – Call anybody on Skype for free. Have a group voice call and up to 25 acquaintances
- Free messaging – Too busy to attend a call? Drop a message with skype’s free messaging service. Create a group chat and add up to 300 people
- Make calls outside of Skype – Call mobiles and landlines at very low rates
- Share media – Send images, video messages, location, and emojis to your contacts on skype
- Cross-device – Use Skype on your mobile, PC, Mac or tablet for free
JusTalk is a new video calling service providing a decent quality of video calls unless you’re on 2G. The app is available on both Android and iOS platforms. To make it more fun, the app allows you to doodle on the screen while on call. There are many more fun features to the app. It’s absolutely free of cost unless you want to buy premium themes, which is completely optional. Use this cool, simple and secure app now to connect with your close ones!
- HD quality voice and video call – Have crystal clear audio and video calls whether on wifi or cellular data
- Fun chat – Play games, doodle and share images with the person you’re talking to while on call to make it more fun
- Easy and simple UI – Select the person you want to call with one touch and get started
- Group voice call – Invite as many people as you want to a group voice call!
- Customise – Apply themes, create doodles and express yourself better in a musical form with ringtones. Also, capture the moment by recording and taking screenshots
- Safe and secure – Enjoy your privacy with encrypted data on JusTalk
ICQ is one of the lesser known voice and video calling services but definitely one of the best! It’s like an all in one package that offers free chat, calls, messaging, and HD video calls to its users. It’s actually quite similar to Google Hangouts in this manner. It’s a solid app that works across multiple platforms with very limited issues. You can also create unlimited channels and chat rooms. Post snaps in your stories with amazingly cute filters!
- Masks and video calls – Choose and apply fun masks virtually while on calls to make it more cool and fun!
- Edit photos and videos – Edit photos and videos for stories with beautiful fonts, filters, and emojis
- Free HD quality calling – Make HD quality video and audio calls with eight times less data
- Voice messages with speech recognition – Send video messages with great ease and add text with voice
- Free Stickers – Use hundreds of free stickers on calls and pictures. New stickers on almost every occasion!
- Channels – Broadcast videos, images, and messages for your followers
- Chat rooms – Add unlimited number of people to groups and control who gets added on there
8. Google Hangouts
The closest alternative to FaceTime is Google Hangouts. This app again is an all-in-one package. The app supports free video and voice calling along with text messaging. You can chat with up to 100 people using google hangouts at the same time. As for video calls, at best, ten people can be added. That’s still amazing, right? If you’re an Android phone user, chances are you have already used this app on your phone at least once as it’s a pre-embedded app on Android phones. If you don’t have this app, you can download it anytime from google play store. The app also comes with emojis, video filters and much more.
- Group conversation – Add up to 150 people from your contacts to the chat room
- Express yourself better – Use photos, images, emojis, GIFs and status messages to keep people updated with your life
- Group video call with one touch – Turn any group conversation into a voice call with up to 10 members
- Call outside of Hangouts – Call any phone number anywhere in the world (chargeable). If you’re calling a Hangouts user, it will be absolutely free
- Google Voice account integration – For SMS texting, audio calls and voice integration connect your Google Voice account to hangouts
- Cross-platform – Stay connected with your friends on iOS, Android, and the web. Sync your conversations across all devices
WeChat is one of the most versatile communications apps around. The app is so simple that almost anyone can learn how to use it in one go. It’s an all in one app for games, photo sharing, video and voice calling. Users can have a group conversation with 500 people at a time. It is free stickers makes the conversation even more intriguing. The app also allows you to make new friends online.
- Call any number out of WeChat – Use WeChat to call any landline or mobile phone number for low rates (available in selected regions for now)
- Multimedia sharing – Share videos, images, GIFs, voice and text messages
- Group video call – Add up to 9 people at once, and 500 people for text messaging
- Animated Stickers – Use hundreds of cute, innovative stickers in your conversation to express your feelings. There are stickers featuring characters from famous cartoons and movies
- Share moments – Share your life moments on your personal photo stream
- Privacy and safety – The only messaging app certified by TRUSTe assures the best level of security to its users
- Make friends – Just go to friend radar and shake your device to make friends near you
- Translate messages – The app supports 20 languages and can translate any message for you
10. Line: Free calls and messages
The line is full-featured social networking app. Although the app focuses more on text messaging, it can definitely be used as an alternative to FaceTime. The app features free messages, voice, and video calls. The app has some of the best stickers you’ll ever come across online. It provides solid quality video calling service. Alike most apps in the list, this app too works cross-platform!
- Free audio and video calls – Call anyone through your smartphone or PC from any part of the world! You can even hold a meeting on the go
- Instant messaging – Conversation is just one touch away. Use unlimited stickers to spice up your conversation. Also send images, videos and your location to let your friends know what you’re up to
- Fully-fledged social networking service – Share things from your routine on your timeline or leave a comment on your buddies’ posts
- Group chat – Add up to 200 members in the chat room and talk about your interests together
- Follow your idols – Follow accounts of famous celebrities to know what they’re up to
- Sticker Shop – Buy super cute stickers or the ones that feature your celebs just on Line sticker store
Over to you:
So these are the best alternatives to FaceTime for all platforms. You can also use WhatsApp messenger or facebook messenger to video call your friends and family. But we didn’t mention those apps in the list as that would have been like to state the obvious. So what’re you waiting for? Check out the apps to spice up the conversations with your loved ones. So, if you are bored with FaceTime, or if you do not have access to FaceTime and just by chance that you are looking for apps that perform the same function(s), then do try these alternatives to FaceTime.